Thursday, May 1, 2014

A Salad I Actually Like

For as long as I can remember, I've hated salad. I know, right? What kind of vegetarian am I? Caesar, chop, chef, wedge... all the salads that everyone else loves, I can't stand. This is mainly due to my unexplained disdain for lettuce. I can't explain it, I just really don't like lettuce. It skeeves me out, and I have no idea why... all I know is that I get quite upset when it winds up in my Taco Bell potato tacos or atop my black bean burgers. But recently, I've realized that salad doesn't have to involve lettuce. Therefore, I've started making much more awesome and creative salads... like this one. It's got everything good in it... quinoa, avocado, tomatoes, corn and black beans. The dressing is fabulous, and very easy to make. I ate this for dinner tonight, and let me tell you... it doesn't take much to fill you up. Which is awesome, because 1 serving (this recipe makes 8) is just under 300 calories. Enjoy!


For The Vinaigrette:
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
  • 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 cup fresh packed cilantro leaves
  1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.

For The Salad:
  • 3 cups cooked quinoa
  • Two 15 oz cans black beans
  • 14 oz frozen corn, defrosted
  • 2 avocados, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 1.5 pints grape tomatoes, halved
  1. Toss everything together, then pour the vinaigrette over top. 
  2. Mix it up, then let it sit in the refrigerator for a few hours to let the flavors meld together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment